27 October 2020

Painting the Profiteers




Thundrik's Profiteers



I originally picked up these bois because the lot of them cost less than a single Aether-Khemist. I painted the Bjorgen as a basic khemist hero, Dead-Eye Lund as a basic Grundstok Thunderer to add some weapon flexibility to that unit, added the mines to the Khazgan Drakkskewer to make him a skywardent, and then kit-bashed on the Arkanauts into a navigator (because that model is insane price-wise as well)—again, all for less than the price of the official khemist.  However, then I decided to get into Underworlds; and I needed to buy a second box to paint as the crossover unit between the two games. 

The main paint scheme I'm using for my Chonky Bois™ is mostly blue metallic with some golden bibs and bobs. To differentiate Thundrik and his Profiteers, I've basically inverted the colours here.  This lets them tie into the larger army while still looking distinct.

Why would I want that distinction? Well, in AoS, they are stuck as a unit and have to be from Barak-Nar. The colours here are pretty unique since I'm not sure which sky-port I want to run, but I'm sure it will be either Barak-Zilfin, Barak-Urbaz, or Barak Thryng. As such, there won't be any bonuses that Thundrik and his lads will be able to enjoy. 

My current idea is to scratch build a heavily modded Gunhauler, give it Coalbeard's Collapsible Compartments for Thundrik and the lads (and maybe an extra navigator), and then send them off as a commando unit to hunt objectives. This is possibly a horrible idea.

The paint recipe is pretty simple:

  • Prime Black
  • Heavy drybrush of VMC Gunmetal
  • Light drybrush of VGC Silver
  • Glaze blue bits with Citadel Guilliman Blue
  • Glaze gold bits with mix of Citadel Contrast Iyaden Yellow and Gryph-hound Orange
  • Another light drybrush of VGC Silver
  • Finish the owl
Best!

No comments:

Post a Comment